Tuesday, April 4, 2017

My Wishes For My Son

My dearest son,

I hope that you don't conform to the expectations of society "just because." If something doesn't feel right in your gut, stand up against it. Don't ignore your heart - it won't steer you wrong. I have often gotten in trouble for "questioning authority." And you know what? I think it's one of my greatest qualities. Don't just do something because someone in power tell you to. God gave you an amazing brain - use it.

Please stay true to who you are. You are sensitive and emotional, which are amazing qualities. Already at three, though, people seem to want you to be stronger. braver. tougher. But guess what? I think it is the bravest thing of all to be your authentic self. Don't change who you are because society says girls are supposed to be the sensitive ones. (And when you are old enough, watch the documentary "The Mask You Live In"). You can be sensitive and a boy - promise!

I hope that you love school and books and all things education. But honestly, I'd rather you be kind and compassionate rather than intelligent. If you struggle in school, but show love and grace towards others, you will have succeeded in the most important subjects. Just work hard, do your best, and show humility. Straight A's won't get you into Heaven.

I pray you have a forgiving heart. Forgive quickly and let go of what/who hurts you. I am thirty-one years old and this still causes me a lot of trouble. It's so hard to let go of what scars you. Yet, someone once told me, "Not forgiving a person is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die." It's so true. It only hurts yourself to hold on and stay bitter. I hope you will be a more forgiving person than your mother.

I hope that you find at least one good friend that you can go to with anything. In good times and bad, that you have "a person." Maybe it will be me or your dad, or someone else entirely. But it is always good to have someone to count on - no matter the time or circumstance.

That's all for now, my love. You are the reason my heart beats and I have so many wishes for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment